The Sustainability Base contains guidance on sustainability and associated issues and is sponsored by Sandtoft Roof Tiles Ltd.
Sandtoft has pioneered many of the most innovative advances in pitched roofing in recent years. Our range is the widest and most diverse in the industry stretching from traditional plain tiles, pantiles and slates to groundbreaking new labour saving designs.
In response to a growing demand for natural roofing products, the company has developed a New Generation of clay roof tiles. These unique products reduce labour and material costs, cut completion times and satisfy both planning and environmental requirements.
Sandtoft has also developed products made from 80% recycled slate which are manufactured in the UK’s first carbon neutral tile plant. In addition by converting to 100% green electricity for all our UK operations we have reduced our carbon emissions by 25% per annum since 2006.
Interlocking clay roof tiles: New Generation
- 20/20 - Interlocking clay plain tile
- The tile’s single lap design requires fewer tiles and approx 60% fewer battens than traditional plain tiles. Such savings lead to dramatic reductions in installed costs and make the 20/20 more cost effective than both clay and concrete plain tiles. The 20/20 has a new minimum pitch of 15º. Rated A+ under the BRE Green Guide to Specification.
- Rivius - Interlocking riven slate
- Rivius features a riven surface and dressed edges that give it an authentic, natural slate appearance. Made from natural alluvial clay with a tough ceramic finish, this unique slate alternative will never lose its colour. With coverage of 10.5 slates per m2 Rivius offers substantial material and labour saving benefits over natural slate. Rated A+ under the BRE Green Guide to Specification.
- Olympus - Interlocking double pantile
- The most radical feature of the new Olympus clay tile is its size; at 10.2 tiles/m , this is the largest and most effective profiled clay tile launched in the UK.
- Cassius - Interlocking thin leading edge slate
- This thin leading edge clay tile creates an attractive natural clay roof, while its large format size and interlocking design reduces material and installation costs. Cassius cuts the cost of a natural clay roof, and can also provide a cost effective alternative to natural slate.
- Romulus - Clay Double Roman
- Designed to bring the ease and speed of installation of a concrete tile, while offering the aesthetics that only natural clay can bring.
See www.sandtoft.com for details of our slate and concrete ranges.
Our technical services team are available to assist you in designing and specifying a roof using Sandtoft tiles or slates in accordance with the latest legislation and Building Regulations. We offer a vast library of standard data on our web site; alternatively we can provide bespoke information, calculations and details to meet your needs.Sandtoft Roof Tiles Ltd
DN8 5SY Tel: 0844 9395 900
Fax: 0844 9395 950
Click on an item below to find out more:
Sustainability Publications and Reports
- Coast and Country Housing Case Study
- Liverpool Mutual Homes Case Study
- Code for Sustainable Homes
- Stern Review on the economics of climate change
Sustainability Base Articles
- Financial Incentives
- Statutory consent
- Design and specification